Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm Just Another Obeasty American

Like many Americans i'm over weight, I don't eat enough veggies, I don't drink enough water, and I don't get off my fat ass enough, okay I admit it, i'm fat. Sadly, I'm not alone, according to the CDC 67% of adults age 20 years and over are overweight or obese. (SIXTY SEVEN?) it's good to know I'm not alone but it's also kind of sad but it's not surprising, the biggest reason people like myself eat is because it makes us feel comfortable. We're talking thousands of years nature telling us to eat now or die! of coarse we eat for comfort, it's natural. But these days it's dangerous, we have so much food at our disposal that we over eat, we pack on the pounds and we die from stuffing our gut with saturated goodness! The worse part is we're not even honest about it, it's like we are embarrassed by our natural drive to feed our comfort level.

In April of 2008 I went to Las Vegas for my birthday, I was 5 months pregnant at the time so I did alot of eating! The first stop on our tour of sin city was the buffet at The Excalibur, When I first saw the dinning room and all of the food I truned to Chris and said "OMG there is more food here than in all of North Korea!" as cold as that sounds It might actually be true. That morning for breakfast I had 3 poached eggs, 1 bowl of fruit, 3 slices of French toast (with syrup and butter), 4 strips of bacon, 2 links of sausage, and a biscuit. It was enough for 3 or 4 people and I ate it myself just me! Oh and Chris he ate even more! This is the world we live in, This is a perfect example of the American lifestyle. You don't have to go to Sin City to eat yourself silly, there are "hometown" buffets in every neighborhood.

I'm not the only one in my family that over eats for comfort, my kids (though they are not overweight) do it too! In fact I teach them to over eat, for example on their birthdays I make them cakes, I make them what ever they want to eat for dinner, I give them extra candy and snacks, and I do it all in the name of love.

Now, i'm not saying we shouldn't treat our children, or give them our homemade apple pies (or peach cobbler in my case) but what if we were more honest about it, what if we were more honest with our selves? Do you think honesty would make a difference? I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment